Today is cookies day for my family.... It's like almost more than 3 months since last Eid al-fitr I didn't make any cookies. So today I'll refill my empty cookie jars which are stored clean in my cupboard for these few months (^,^)
And for this fall I choose spicy cookies gingersnap cause I think it's suit with this season. For today I make gingersnap use Alton Brown's recipe in FoodNetwork. I made this cookies before and it was turn great. I like more crunchy version than chewy one. For more crisp and crunchy texture for this recipe said you can add more baking time.
You can check my other version of gingersnap here.
Gingersnap cookies recipe by Alton Brown (food network), with minor adjustment by me.
Ingredients: (make about 35~40 cookies)
- 260 gr all purpose flour (Original recipe calls for 270 gr (9 1/2 oz) )
- 10 gr cornstarch (Original recipe calls for 270 g-- I use 260 g APF + 10 cornstarch )
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 5 ounces (140 gr) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 7 ounces (200 gr) dark brown sugar (I use 190 only)
- 3 ounces (85 gr) molasses - I use grape molasses
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ginger candied, chopped (I didn't use)
- Pre heat oven at 180 deg C (350 deg F)
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, ground ginger, cardamom, cloves and salt, set a side.
- Cream brown sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 or 2 minutes. Beat in molasses, egg and fresh ginger, beat another 1 minute on medium speed.
- Mix in candied ginger (I didn't use, so I skip this) and flour mixture, stir well with wooden spoon/ spatula.
- Line 2 or 3 baking tray with baking paper. Scoop cookie batter (about 2 tsp) and drop into baking tray, give space about 5 cm apart each other. Bake them 12 minute-if you want chewy texture. Or bake about 15 minutes for more crisp texture. Note: I bake 10 minutes in 180 deg C then lower temperature to 130 deg C and continue bake 10 minutes more and I got crisp texture I want.
- Remove from oven, without move cookies from tray let it cool about 10 minute. Then move cookies to cooling rack for complete cool down. Keep in air tight jar.