♥♥ When two Cultures mixed (。◕‿◕。) Everything in my Page are only simple thing, but I did it with great love.

Indonesian glutinous rice balls in herb caramel syrup / Wedang Ronde Karamel

This February the weather showed no signs of warming, still snowing almost every day. Temperature is still around zero sometimes even minus zero. Even worse in eastern Turkey temperature average minus 15 degrees. I saw on news, some cities in Europe even got worse condition, temperatures can reach minus 30 deg. I don't understand why the weather can deteriorate like this. I remember the first snow fell last November 2011 - that was very early according to my husband.

Anyway, I just try to enjoy any weather or conditions, because I believe God has set everything up. And this glutinous rice ball in herb caramel sauce is also one of my way to enjoy this freezing weather while waiting for the sun really warms my heart and soul... @(^_^)@



Serve 4 ~ 6
Glutinous rice ball ingredients:

 2 cup (± 200 g) glutinous rice flour
 2 tablespoons rice flour
 1 tbsp caster sugar
 ¾ cup warm water
 green and red food color



Herb Caramel Sauce ingredients:
 2 tbsp caster sugar
 7 ~ 9 tablespoons sugar
 ± 50 g fresh ginger, ember-roasted over fire few minutes then lightly crushed
 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only. Lightly crushed
 4 ½~5 cup water
 Sesame seeds for sprinkling
 



How to make:
1) Glutinous ball: Dissolve sugar in ¾ cup warm water. In medium bowl, mix rice flour and glutinous rice flour, pour sugar solution gradually (do not add all at once) while lightly knead to perform nice dough not sticky in fingers.
2) Divide the dough into three parts, two parts add green and red color, leave one part without color. Shape the dough as marble size. Boil enough water in a pan, cook the balls in boiling water until floating for few minutes. Strain and set aside.
3) For the sauce: In medium heavy bottom pan, heat 2 tablespoons sugar to make caramel (do not burn it). Carefully add water, then sugar, ginger and lemongrass. Cook until boiling for a while. Strain to serve.


How to serve:
Place the balls in a cup /serving glass, pour in ginger caramel sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.


This great herb drink really warm you inside out during cold weather.










loading...

8 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! Looks like each nation has its own version of glutinous rice balls/mochi type desserts. I can just imagine the lovely scent of the caramel with the ginger and lemongrass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ping: yes, :) for this beverage type, we didn't fill anything in our glutinous ball, different with our "kue moci" which has some filling variant :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds absolutely fantastic! I have never had this, but it looks so intriguing and delicious :) I love Asian jellies, and I'd be very interested to try herbed caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. herb caramel sauce sound really good,,,harus di coba nih,interesting combination :)
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Citra...here in Malaysia we have a store bough sekoteng but it was rectangular and colorful shape. I've never tried this yet but many of my blogger friends made kuih talam with sekoteng. This looks interesting looks like Chinese dessert with caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes citra, this year the weather is gotten worst day by day even in Indonesia which only have 2 season, I think I'm not to in love with this raning / snowing season... but still trus that God did take care of us whatever happen :)
    glad to see u posting again, this mean that ur pregnancy is healthy and ur sense of palate is go to normal condition :)
    Tq for sharing this recipe with us, love how u combine this with the glatunious rice, my fav! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love glutinous rice flour! they call it mochi flour or sweet rice flour in america. i would love this since i love rice cakes! :) and we haven't had any snow except for the one time in november. i'm so shocked. it's usually a pretty harsh winter in NJ! can't believe its snowing so much in turkey and europe!

    ReplyDelete

Loving my blog? Please help me to share to your friends and tell to the world that my blog contents are valuable and interesting to visit. Subscribe or follow my Facebook, Tweeter, Pinterest or my instagram

My License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. www.myhomediaryinturkey.blogspot.com

Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected